Baheesi Hostel, a mixed students’ residence at Makerere University Business School in Nakawa, Kampala has gutted fire and the cause hasn’t been identified yet
According to the eye witnesses say the fire started from the top floor at around 4:15pm.
The gathered people complained of the police abandoning them by not helping them with fire brigade as it also came late with a small fire brigade truck that could not help to stop the fire from spreading the building.
However the fire brigade officials apologized for the delay and requested the gathered people to calm down
“This evening, fire gutted Bahesi Hostel in Nakawa.The Fire Brigade and Rescue Services has been informed on time & several fighting trucks dispatched.The teams are doing their best to control the fire. We commend the students and citizens who called us quickly to respond,” Police tweeted on Monday.
This comes just two days after three students’ sustained injuries as they were escaping a fire that gutted Mary Stuart Hall, a female students’ residence at Makerere University.
According to the students who were shivering in fear state the fire started at around 2:00pm but they discovered later that there was a student who was making noise shouting for help but they don’t know whether this student was rescued or died from the fire.
A statement from the police spokesperson SSP Emilian Kayima on Saturday indicates that police’s fire brigade and rescue services was informed on time and seven firefighting trucks were dispatched to contain the fire.
Kayima said the three female students who were trying to escape sustained minor injuries.
By the press time Kimanya primary hostels are also reported have burnt by the unknown cause of this fire and some assume that it was caused by the short-circuit during the ironing of uniforms by the students who reported at school on Sunday.